- Press Releases
ROK-Hungary Foreign Ministers’ Meeting Takes Place
1. On December 12, Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang, Kyung-wha had a meeting and luncheon with Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary Péter Szijjártó during his visit to the Republic of Korea (ROK). The two sides reviewed the relations between the ROK and Hungary, which mark the 30th anniversary of diplomatic relations in 2019, ways to promote substantive cooperation, cooperation on the international stage, and the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in Europe.
2. Minister Kang mentioned that Hungary carries special significance as the first East European country to establish diplomatic relations with the ROK, noting with appreciation that the bilateral relations have developed over the past 30 years in various areas, including trade and investment, science and technology, cultural and people-to-people exchanges, and national defense.
° The two Ministers welcomed the recent, active high-level exchanges between the two countries on such a firm basis and agreed to strengthen cooperation in order to further advance the bilateral relations.
2. The two Ministers took note of the growing economic cooperation between the two countries, including the robust investment in Hungary by Korean enterprises.
° Minister Kang asked the Hungarian government to pay attention to ensure successful economic activities of Korean enterprises in Hungary. Minister Szijjártó responded that various ways will be sought to support business activities.
° Minister Szijjártó, taking note of Korean companies’ active investment in Hungary, voiced hope for more enterprises’ interest in Hungary as well as an increase in Hungarian agrifood exports.
3. The two Ministers welcomed the opening of a Hungarian Cultural Institute in the ROK and the launch of direct flights between the two countries in 2019, the year marking the 30th anniversary of diplomatic relations, and agreed to work together to further promote understanding and exchanges between people of the two countries.
4. Minister Kang extended appreciation to the Hungarian government for its active cooperation in handling the aftermath of the boat accident which had occurred in May 2019, including searching for and recovering remains of the missing, and providing support for their families. She asked for the Hungarian government’s cooperation in ensuring smooth progress of the follow-up measures, such as a thorough investigation on the cause of the accident, the ensuring of accountability, and the search for the last missing Korean.
° Minister Szijjártó once again expressed condolences over the sacrifice of Korean people in the boat accident, adding that the Hungarian government will continue to cooperate in the search for the missing person and the follow-up on the accident.
5. The two Ministers took note of close cooperation between the two countries in elections of international organizations, such as the UN. They also exchanged views on key issues including the situations on the Korean Peninsula as well as in Northeast Asia and Europe.
6. This was the third ROK-Hungary foreign ministers’ meeting in 2019, and it is seen to have served as a good opportunity to discuss ways to further develop the relations between the two countries that mark the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations.