- Press Releases
Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Lee Tae-ho Meets with Vietnamese Delegation to 4th ROK-Vietnam Forum for Future
1. On the morning of August 28, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea (ROK) Lee Tae-ho met with a delegation to the 4th ROK-Vietnam Forum for the Future from the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam led by Vice President of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences Dang Nguyen Anh.
2. The two sides agreed that the ROK and Vietnam have developed close cooperative relations in various areas since the establishment of diplomatic relations in 1992 and that the bilateral ties have been more rapidly advanced by implementing the ROK government’s New Southern Policy.
○ During the meeting, Vice Minister Lee noted that the Vietnam Academy is making a contribution to strengthening bilateral strategic communication through active academic exchanges, and expressed hope that the two countries would explore ways to advance their bilateral relations in a future-oriented manner.
3. Vice Minister Lee asked for Vietnam’s attention and support to ensure the success of the 2019 ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit and the 1st Mekong-ROK Summit, which will be held in Busan in November 2019 to mark the 30th anniversary of the establishment of the ASEAN-ROK Dialogue Partnership.
○ Vice President Anh mentioned that Vietnam, the ASEAN Chair in 2020, will make efforts to successfully hold the two forthcoming summits and to seek ways to faithfully implement the outcomes of the summits.
4. At the meeting, Vice Minister Lee, explaining the recent situation on the Korean Peninsula, asked for Vietnam’s continued support and cooperation for complete denuclearization and the establishment of permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula. In response, Vice President Anh appreciated the ROK government’s efforts towards complete denuclearization and the establishment of permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula, and said that the academy will continue to actively cooperate with the ROK government.