1. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Republic of Korea and Uzbekistan in 2017, acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn of the ROK exchanged celebratory messages with President Shavkat Mirziyoyev of Uzbekistan.
* The ROK and Uzbekistan established diplomatic relations on January 29, 1992.
2. In his message, acting President Hwang noted with appreciation that since forging diplomatic relations in 1992, the two countries have been seeing their partnership develop in a mutually beneficial and future-oriented manner, and expressed hope that their strategic partnership will move further forward in 2017, a significant year marking the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the 80th anniversary of the settlement of ethnic Koreans in Central Asia.
° Acting President Hwang also voiced hope that the two countries will build on the successful completion of their strategic cooperation on the gas-chemical plant construction project in Surgil and continue to work together in a mutually beneficial manner, including on other large-scale projects.
3. President Mirziyoyev expressed pleasure over the fact that the two leaders had reaffirmed during their telephone conversation on January 5 their firm commitment to step up comprehensive, strategic cooperation between their two countries, as well as hope to work more closely in diverse sectors with the ROK, the most trustworthy partner of Uzbekistan since its independence.
° The President commended ethnic Koreans in Uzbekistan for playing a very significant role in efforts to maintain the friendship between the two countries.
4. In addition to the exchange of celebratory messages between their heads of state, the ROK and Uzbekistan will hold meaningful events, such as high-level exchanges and cultural performances, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the 80th anniversary of the settlement of ethnic Koreans in Central Asia in 2017. These events are expected to help further promote mutual understanding and exchanges between the peoples of the two countries.
* unofficial translation