- Press Releases
Foreign Minister Meets with Secretary-General of ASEAN Lim Jock Hoi
1. During his visit to Southeast Asia, Minister of Foreign Affairs Chung Eui-yong visited the ASEAN Secretariat located in Jakarta, the Republic of Indonesia, on June 25 and had a meeting with Secretary-General of ASEAN Lim Jock Hoi.
2. The two sides expressed their satisfaction with the progress made in various areas of Korea-ASEAN cooperation under the New Southern Policy (NSP) and agreed to enhance their cooperation to achieve fruitful results in various projects such as the establishment of the Financial Cooperation Center and the launch of the ROK-ASEAN Health Ministers’ Meeting this year.
o In addition, both sides agreed to take the ROK-ASEAN Summit this October as an opportunity to take stock of the progress made in cooperation between Korea and ASEAN under the New Southern Policy (NSP) and to reaffirm the leaders’ commitment to further enhance cooperation.
3. Secretary-General Lim extended appreciation to Korea for its support for ASEAN’s efforts to overcome the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic. He also mentioned that the ASEAN Secretariat will continue its support for Korea and ASEAN to jointly prepare for the post-COVID-19 era by seeking synergy between the NSP and the ASEAN Comprehensive Recovery Framework.
4. Foreign Minister Chung extended his appreciation to ASEAN for its continued support for the Korean government’s efforts to achieve complete denuclearization and establish permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula and asked for ASEAN’s further support.
5. On the latest developments in Myanmar, Foreign Minister Chung mentioned that the Korean government supports ASEAN’s constructive role led by Secretary-General Lim, and stressed that the Korean government will continue its contribution to prompt implementation of the five-point consensus reached at the ASEAN Leaders’ Meeting this April.