1. Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Cho Hyundong had his first telephone conversation with U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy R. Sherman since his inauguration on Wednesday, May 18, 2022. They exchanged views on preparations for the upcoming Republic of Korea-U.S. summit, the strengthening of the ROK-U.S. Alliance, the situation on the Korean Peninsula, and regional and global issues.
° Deputy Secretary of State Sherman congratulated Vice Foreign Minister Cho on his appointment, and they agreed to further strengthen the ROK-U.S. Alliance through close communication at various levels.
2. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary shared the view that the visit of U.S. President Joseph R. Biden to the ROK and the ROK-U.S. summit, which will take place in a couple of days, will serve as an important milestone for strengthening the comprehensive strategic alliance between the two countries. They pledged to work closely to make various tangible achievements during the visit.
3. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary shared assessments on the situation on the Korean Peninsula, including a possible further provocation by the DPRK. Accordingly, they agreed to step up coordination to firmly respond to the DPRK’s provocations while maintaining a rock-solid combined defense posture.
° The two sides reaffirmed that they would leave the door open for dialogue for the peaceful resolution of the North Korean nuclear issue, adding that they would continue making efforts to revive principled and consistent denuclearization talks with the DPRK.
° They expressed concern over the recent COVID-19 outbreak in the DPRK and agreed that the two countries, with the international community, should continue to discuss the provision of humanitarian assistance to the DPRK. Furthermore, Deputy Secretary Sherman expressed her support for the ROK’s intention to help the DPRK fight against COVID-19.
4. Deputy Secretary Sherman concurred with the vision of the Yoon Suk Yeol administration to strengthen the ROK-U.S. Alliance and welcomed the ROK’s will to expand its role in the global community as a global pivotal state. The Deputy Secretary also expressed her appreciation to the ROK for its leadership in key global issues, including the situation in Ukraine and response to the pandemic.
° Vice Minister Cho emphasized that the new administration is committed to playing an active role in a way that is commensurate with the high expectations of the international community to tackle challenges in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.
° The two sides also agreed to enhance ROK-U.S.-Japan trilateral cooperation in responding to key regional and global issues.
5. Deputy Secretary Sherman expressed her hope to closely discuss issues of shared interest with Vice Minister Cho. Vice Minister Cho invited Deputy Secretary Sherman to visit the ROK at her earliest convenience for an in-depth discussion.