- Press Releases
Director-general for Non-proliferation and Nuclear Affairs Meets with UN Deputy High Representative for Disarmament Affairs (Aug. 5)
1. Director-General for Non-proliferation and Nuclear Affairs Mr. Park Il met with UN Deputy High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Mr. Thomas Markram at the UN Headquarters on Thursday, August 5, 2021.
2. Mr. Markram expressed appreciation for the ROK’s active contribution in the field of international disarmament and nonproliferation, and the two sides agreed to expand cooperation, as this year marks the 30th anniversary of the ROK’s membership in the UN.
3. As a champion of Action 38 (Establish a platform for youth engagement) of the UN Secretary-General’s Disarmament Agenda, the ROK will be submitting its second biennial resolution on “Youth, Disarmament and Nonproliferation” during this year’s session of the UN General Assembly. In this regard, the two sides agreed to carry out various projects to further youth engagement in this field.
4. In addition, the ROK and the UN agreed to co-host the 20th “ROK-UN Conference on Disarmament and Nonproliferation Issues” in November in Seoul under the theme “Disarmament and Non-Proliferation : Twenty Years of Achievements and Future Aspirations.”
5. Finally, the ROK and the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) shared their views on the multilateral disarmament and nonproliferation environment and prospects and agreed to work together towards the success of the upcoming NPT Review Conference tentatively scheduled for January 2022.