1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Chung Eui-yong had a telephone conversation with State Councilor and Minister of Foreign Affairs of China Wang Yi on June 9 and discussed issues of mutual interest, including Korea-China relations, Korean Peninsula issues, and regional and global affairs.
2. The two Foreign Ministers agreed to continue their efforts to develop the relations between Korea and China of which the year 2022 will mark the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations, while examining the progress in major bilateral cooperation issues discussed at the Korea-China Foreign Ministers’ meeting on April 3.
° The two Foreign Ministers, recognizing that high-level exchanges are important in deepening and developing Korea-China relations, agreed to continue communication to realize President Xi’s visit to Korea in the near future as soon as the COVID-19 situations are stabilized and conditions are created.
° In addition, they shared the progress in organizing the Committee for Future-Oriented Development of Korea-China Relations and preparing programs for the Year of Korea-China Cultural Exchanges (2021-2022) and agreed to make an official announcement in the near future as soon as preparations are complete.
° The two Foreign Ministers agreed to continue seeking ways to cooperate in promoting people-to-people exchanges between the two countries based on achievements that the two countries have made in responding to COVID-19.
3. Foreign Minister Chung and State Councilor Wang reaffirmed the common goals of realizing denuclearization and establishing permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula and discussed ways to cooperate to this end.
4. The two Foreign Ministers exchanged opinions on various regional and global affairs and agreed to strengthen cooperation between Korea and China in responding to major pending issues, including climate change.
° Foreign Minister Chung hoped that U.S.-China relations would develop in a stable manner, as cooperation between the U.S. and China in responding to global challenges is in the interest of the international community.
° In this regard, Foreign Minister Chung appreciated that both the U.S. and China supported the Seoul Declaration at the recent P4G summit, which was joined by leading and developing countries in climate response.
5. The two Foreign Ministers agreed to continue high-level strategic communication between Korea and China down the road.
※ A telephone conversation (February 16) and a meeting (April 3) were held between the Korean and Chinese Foreign Ministers.