- Press Releases
Outcome of Telephone Conversation between Foreign Ministers of Korea and Sweden
1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Chung Eui-yong talked over the phone with Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden Ann Linde on April 7, and exchanged views on Korea-Sweden bilateral relations, cooperation through multilateral channels, and regional issues including the Korean Peninsula.
2. The two sides took note that there were active high-level exchanges including the mutual visits by the leaders of the two countries in 2019 on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations, and agreed to strengthen cooperation in fields that have high potential for future growth such as start-ups, and science & technology.
* The first state visit to Sweden by a Korean President (June 2019), a visit to Korea by a Swedish Prime Minister (December 2019) and the first official visit to Sweden by a Speaker of the National Assembly (September 2020)
3. The two sides agreed to maintain cooperation through various multilateral channels such as the 2021 P4G Seoul Summit, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), of which Sweden is the Chair for this year, and the Stockholm Initiative.
ㅇ Foreign Minister Chung also explained that the 2021 P4G Seoul Summit will be held in a virtual format at the end of this May, asking for high level participation from the Swedish side, and Foreign Minister Linde responded that Sweden will render active support for the success of the Summit.
4. Foreign Minister Chung expressed appreciation for the Swedish government’s active contribution to the establishment of peace on the Korean Peninsula, and Foreign Minister Linde said that Sweden will continue to play a constructive role in advancing the Korean Peninsula Peace Process.