- Press Releases
Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Choi Jong Kun Meets with Peruvian Ambassador to Korea
1. Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Choi Jong Kun met with Ambassador of Peru to Korea Daúl Matute on the morning of January 27 and discussed ways to promote substantive cooperation between Korea and Peru in diverse areas, including Korean companies’ participation in infrastructure projects based on Peru’s government-to-government contracts and digital cooperation.
2. The two sides noted with appreciation that Korea and Peru have steadily maintained cooperation based on the spirit of solidarity and cooperation even amid the global spread of COVID-19 and agreed that it is important to continue promoting exchanges and cooperation on the bilateral level and the international stage in preparation for the post-COVID-19 era.
3. With regard to the Peruvian government’s construction projects for Lima Metro Lines 3 and 4 as well as a central highway and a Santa Rosa overpass, Vice Minister Choi asked for the Peruvian government’s attention and support to the consortium of Korean companies preparing to join the projects.
° Vice Minister Choi stressed that Korean companies with outstanding technology and ample experiences would be the optimal partners that would reinforce economic cooperation between the two countries and contribute to the economic development of Peru.
° Ambassador Matute mentioned that Korean companies with excellent technology have a good reputation in Peru, voicing hope that Korean companies would take part in various projects in Peru and thereby help further expand economic cooperation between the two countries.
4. Vice Minister Choi, mentioning that transition to digital and non-face-to-face economy is picking up speed, expressed hope that high-level officials of Peru would visit Korea for the “Korea-Latin America Digital Cooperation Forum” to take place in Seoul in March 2021 and have an opportunity to discuss ways to enhance cooperation between the two countries in the digital sector.
° Ambassador Matute mentioned that the Peruvian government, on its part, is implementing the fourth industrial revolution, building smart cities and carrying out a range of digital projects, adding that the Peruvian government will consider sending a high-level official to the Forum.
5. Vice Minister Choi extended congratulations to Peru on its 200th anniversary of independence in 2021, voicing hope for a further increase in exchanges and cooperation between the two countries. Ambassador Matute asked for the Korean government’s interest in the diverse events that the Peruvian Embassy in Korea is preparing to hold on the occasion of Peru’s 200th anniversary of independence, including “a food culture week.”
meeting, the first high-level one this year with the Ambassador of a Latin
American country that is establishing itself as a partner for mutually
beneficial economic cooperation, is seen to have served as an opportunity to
discuss ways to reinforce Korea-Peru cooperation in the infrastructure and
digital fields and to support the Korean companies in Latin America.