- Press Releases
Outcome of ROK-Japan Director-General-Level Meeting Held on Nov. 15
1. Mr. Kim Jung-han, Director-General for Asian and Pacific Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, had a meeting with Mr. Shigeki Takizaki, Director-General of the Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, in Tokyo, Japan, on the morning of November 15. During the meeting, the two sides exchanged views on matters of mutual interest, including Japan’s export-restrictive measures and the ruling issued by the Supreme Court of the Republic of Korea (ROK) on the victims of forced labor.
2. Director-General Kim pointed out the unfair, retaliatory nature of Japan’s export-restrictive measures toward the ROK; and strongly called for an immediate withdrawal of the measures.
° In response, Director-General Takizaki explained the Japanese government’s position.
3. Director-General Kim and Director-General Takizaki also exchanged views on the two countries’ respective positions regarding the ruling on the victims of forced labor and ways to resolve the issue.
4. In addition, Director-General Kim asked that, amid anti-Korea sentiment in Japan, the Japanese government pay special attention to protecting the ROK nationals and ethnic Koreans in Japan and preventing them from sustaining any damage.
5. Director-General Kim once again reminded the Japanese side of the ROK side’s grave concern over the issue of the disposal of treated waste water from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station and asked for the Japanese government’s transparent information-sharing and prudent decision on this issue.
6. The two Directors-General shared the understanding that it is important to continue dialogue and consultations through diplomatic channels in order to resolve pending issues between the two countries.