1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Park Jin held the 3rd Korea-Germany Foreign Ministerial Strategic Dialogue with Germany’s Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs Annalena Baerbock at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the evening of April 15, and exchanged views on Korea-Germany relations, substantive cooperation, global issues including economic security, and the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in other major regions.
2. Foreign Minister Park stressed that Germany is Korea’s long-time friend that shares universal values, including freedom, democracy, human rights, and open economy as well as Korea’s largest trading partner in Europe and that Germany is a key cooperation partner for Korea’s foreign policy to become a Global Pivotal State. Foreign Minister Park particularly appreciated that this Strategic Dialogue was held this very meaningful year which marks the 140th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries, and that it has provided an opportunity to deepen and expand bilateral cooperation.
3. In the Strategic Dialogue, the two sides discussed in depth bilateral relations as well as situations in major regions, and took note that there have been active high-level exchanges between the two countries, including Federal Minister Baerbock’s visit to Korea following President Steinmeier’s official visit to Korea last year.
4. The two sides shared the view that Korea and Germany, major trading partners that share a common value of a free and open market economy, need to cooperate closely in response to challenges, such as global economic uncertainties, supply chain crises, climate change, and digital gaps. They agreed to continue close dialogue and cooperation in economic security and advanced technologies, including AI and quantum.
5. Regarding the World EXPO 2030 Busan, Foreign Minister Park shared the results of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE)’s recent due diligence on Busan, and asked the German government to actively review Busan’s candidacy, taking into consideration Busan’s ability to host the event, the Korean government's full support, and the people’s high enthusiasm.
6. The two sides also had in-depth discussions on ways for strategic cooperation between the two countries on the situation on the Korean Peninsula, the war in Ukraine, and the Indo-Pacific region. Foreign Minister Park stressed that as North Korea continues to worsen the situation on the Korean Peninsula by launching a missile that it claimed was a new solid-fuel ICBM and threatening further provocations just two days prior, Korea and Germany need to unite with the international community and respond firmly.
7. In addition, Foreign Minister Park requested Federal Minister Baerbock’s consistent support for the Korean government’s policy to achieve the complete denuclearization of North Korea, and on continuing bilateral cooperation in pursuing diplomacy for the vision of unification on the Korean Peninsula.
8. Regarding the war in Ukraine, the two sides expressed concern over the deteriorating humanitarian and economic situation in Ukraine, while sharing the view that international solidarity and support is more important than ever and agreeing to cooperate on related diplomatic and economic measures.
9. Lastly, the two sides agreed to further explore areas where the two countries can cooperate, focusing on the “Strategy for a Free, Peaceful, and Prosperous Indo-Pacific Region” announced by the Korean government last year and the “Policy Guidelines on the Indo-Pacific” announced by the German government in 2020.
10. Foreign Minister Park appreciated that this Strategic Dialogue held on the occasion of the 140th anniversary of diplomatic relations served as an opportunity to make bilateral relations even closer and to seek ways to increase cooperation between the two countries under the Yoon Suk Yeol government’s foreign policy to become a Global Pivotal State and Indo-Pacific Strategy.
11. The two sides agreed to hold the next strategic dialogue in Berlin at a mutually convenient time, based on the outcomes of this dialogue.