- Ministry News
Outcome of Korea-Gambia Foreign Ministers’ Luncheon Meeting
1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Chung Eui-yong had a luncheon meeting at his official residence with Gambian Foreign Minister Mamadou Tangara, who visited Korea from November 17 to 20 in order to attend the “6th Busan Global Partnership Forum.”
2. Foreign Minister Chung appreciated that The Gambia had achieved a peaceful transition of power through the election in December 2016 and made a leap to a democratic state, and committed to continuing support for The Gambia’s democratic consolidation and socio-economic development.
° Foreign Minister Tangara expressed appreciation for Korea’s support for The Gambia’s democratic consolidation and stated that Korea would be acknowledged as a contributor to The Gambia’s democratization history.
※ The Korean government contributed to the establishment of the UN Peacebuilding Fund ($3 million) for The Gambia in January 2017, which helped establish the Trust and Reconciliation Commission and draw up its national development plan.
3. Foreign Minister Chung recognized The Gambia’s contribution to UN peacekeeping operations (UN PKO) and asked for The Gambia’s participation in the “Seoul Peacekeeping Ministerial” to be held in Seoul from December 7 to 8.
※ The Gambia’s contribution to UN peacekeeping operations: 57 police officers and experts (the 67th-largest among all states as of September 2021)
4. Foreign Minister Chung expressed his gratitude for The Gambia’s support for Korea in various elections in international organizations and requested interest in and support for Korea’s bid to host the 2030 World Expo in Busan.
° Foreign Minister Tangara pledged The Gambia’s constant support in the international arena and expected the expansion of bilateral cooperation in various areas including on the global stage.
5. Foreign Minister Chung explained Korea’s efforts to establish peace on the Korean Peninsula and requested The Gambia’s support.
° Foreign Minister Tangara expressed support for the Korean government’s efforts for denuclearization and permanent peace on the Peninsula.