- Press Releases
Outcome of ROK-U.S. Vice Foreign Ministerial Meeting
1. Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Choi Jong Kun held a meeting with U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman in Washington, D.C., on the afternoon of June 9, local time, and had extensive discussions on various issues of mutual interest including the follow-up measures to the latest ROK-U.S. Summit, bilateral relations, and the situation on the Korean Peninsula, as well as regional and global affairs.
2. Vice Minister Choi and Deputy Secretary Sherman shared the view that the ROK-U.S. Summit, held on May 21, was a great success, and committed to work together toward prompt and smooth implementation of the follow-up measures, including cooperation on coronavirus vaccines, emerging technology, supply chains, and engagement with Central America’s Northern Triangle countries.
3. In addition, the Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary agreed that sustained diplomacy and dialogue are essential to achieve complete denuclearization and establishment of permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula, which is a common goal confirmed by the leaders of the ROK and the U.S. during their latest Summit. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary committed to continue close coordination to resume meaningful dialogue with North Korea.
4. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary also exchanged views on affairs and cooperation in various regions in the world including the Indo-Pacific.
o Deputy Secretary Sherman explained the outcome of the talks on Myanmar during her recent visit to Southeast Asia. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary condemned the violence by the Myanmar military and police against civilians, and called on the international community to increase efforts for the immediate cessation of violence, the release of those who are detained, and a swift return to democracy.
5. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary welcomed close communication and exchanges between the two countries, and agreed to further increase face-to-face consultations at all levels. The Vice Minister and the Deputy Secretary also reaffirmed the importance of ROK-U.S.-Japan trilateral cooperation.
o Vice Minister Choi invited Deputy Secretary Sherman to visit the ROK.
Next There is no next article.