1. Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Lee Dohoon attended the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held in New Delhi, India, from March 1 to 2.
ㅇ Ministerial-level participants from the G20 member states and invited partner countries, as well as representatives of international organizations, were present at the meeting.
※ Invited partner countries for this year’s meeting (10) : Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates(UAE), Bangladesh, Egypt, Mauritius, Nigeria, Oman, and Comoros (Chair of the African Union(AU))
2. The participants at the Foreign Ministers’ Meeting discussed main agendas including △Strengthening Multilateralism and Need for Reforms, △Food and Energy Security, △Development Cooperation, △Counter-terrorism, △Global Skill Mapping and Talent Pool, and △Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Risk Reduction.
ㅇ In the first session, Vice Minister Lee underlined the need to strengthen the rules-based multilateral system, which has served to safeguard global peace and prosperity. On food and energy security, he emphasized the importance of restraining arbitrary food export restrictions, building a resilient supply chain, and fully harnessing new green and digital technologies. He also called upon accelerating concerted efforts towards the achievement of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- He further reaffirmed that the G20 should lead international cooperation to this end, and that Korea will also continue to strengthen its contribution.
ㅇ In the second session, Vice Minister Lee stated that the international community has shown its solidarity and cooperation for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in response to the devastating earthquake in Türkiye and Syria, including Korea’s ongoing support to the affected region. On counter-terrorism, he emphasized the need for multi-dimensional response and cooperation by the international community through the United Nations and other multilateral mechanisms as advanced technologies can lead to increased scope and complexity of terrorist threats.
- In addition, he underscored that it is crucial to take preemptive measures to the skills shortage caused by technological shift. He added that Korea is reflecting such changes in its domestic and development cooperation policy related to education and attracting talent.
3. On the occasion of the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, Vice Minister Lee held one plurilateral meeting among the MIKTA countries and four bilateral meetings with India, Mauritius, Comoros, and Bangladesh.
ㅇ He also took the opportunity to explain why Korea need to host the World Expo 2030 in Busan on the various occasions during the Meeting.
4. The G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting served as a good opportunity for participating countries to share the view on the necessity to cooperate and demonstrate G20’s leadership in addressing various challenges, and to have constructive discussions on cooperative measures to prepare for the upcoming G20 Summit in November.
ㅇ Moreover, at the Meeting, the Korean government expressed its commitment to contribute to joint efforts to pursue inclusive and sustainable economic development and build a more secure and peaceful world.
ㅇ The Korean government will continue to play its role as a Global Pivotal State in addressing key global challenges, and actively participate in the G20’s joint efforts.