1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Park Jin had lunch with Executive Director of UNICEF Catherine Russell on November 7 and discussed ROK-UNICEF cooperation.
2. Foreign Minister Park appreciated the strong partnership between the ROK and UNICEF in promoting children’s health and welfare worldwide and commended UNICEF for its key role in distributing COVID-19 vaccines during the pandemic.
3. Executive Director Russell conveyed her gratitude for the ROK government’s contribution to COVID-19 recovery and building a better world for children and shared her views on the UNICEF Strategic Plan 2022-2025.
4. The foreign minister and executive director agreed that the climate crisis is a children’s crisis, as it is the future generation that will bear the brunt of the crisis, and decided to seek ways to increase cooperation in minimizing the effects of climate change for children under a specific set of goals*.
*protecting children from the crisis, prioritizing children in climate finance, preparing every child for a changed world, preventing the very worst of the crisis
5. In addition, Executive Director Russell extended her heartfelt condolences to the ROK people for having lost so many lives in the tragedy on October 29. Foreign Minister Park conveyed his gratitude for her sympathy.