The Ministry of Justice has enacted guidelines for implementation of
the e-visa policy which allows people to apply for visa online without
having to visit a Korean diplomatic mission. The policy is geared
towards actively attracting foreign talent, such as professor,
researcher and others, to the Republic of Korea.
Legal Source: Article 7(2) of the Presidential Decree of
the Immigration Control Act (Online Visa Application)
2. Main Ideas
(Definition of e-visa) The term “e-visa” means a "visa" which the Minister of Justice
directly issues to a foreigner via online
Visas will be issued either by
- ① the head of the diplomatic mission or by
- ② the Minister of Justice via online.
(Eligibility) A foreigner who does not require an interview with the Consul.
Qualified applicants for the professor visa (E-1), researcher visa (E-3), or
the technology transfer visa (E-5), are eligible to apply.
(The online application can be submitted by only) "the
qualifying applicant, himself or herself" OR a "party who wants to invite
(Visa and Entry Procedures)
- ① Either the applicant or the inviter applies for an e-visa at the Hunet Korea website
(If the applicant applies for the visa, the inviter shall confirm
- → ② A local immigration office will examine the application in Round 1
- → ③ The headquarter office will issue the e-visa
- → ④ The applicant prints out an e-visa issuance confirmation and enters
the Republic of Korea "without having to visit the diplomatic mission abroad'.
3. Effective Date
Effective Date (yy.mm.dd) : '13. 3. 1.(Fri)