1. The government of the Republic of Korea strongly condemns North Korea’s test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile in waters northeast of the eastern coastal city of Sinpo at around 6:30 p.m., April 23.
2. The test by North Korea is a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions regardless of its success or failure. It is especially an act that seriously threatens peace and security not only on the Korean Peninsula, but also in Northeast Asia and the world, as it is a blatant provocation conducted by North Korea less than ten days after the Security Council, through its press statement, strongly condemned the North’s ballistic missile launch on April 15 and urged Pyongyang to refrain from engaging in another provocation.
3. As the ROK government has repeatedly warned that if North Korea engages in additional provocation, the North will face a stronger and sterner response from the international community, the ROK government, in close cooperation with major countries, will take necessary measures, including at the Security Council, and will make more efforts to ensure the faithful implementation of the relevant Security Council resolutions, as well as to increase international sanctions and pressure on North Korea.
4. The ROK government once again strongly urges North Korea to stop making the preposterous claim linking the ROK-US joint military exercises, conducted annually for defensive purposes, with North Korea’s nuclear tests which are prohibited by the UN Security Council resolutions, and not to engage in additional provocations, including nuclear tests.
5. The ROK government stresses once again that the North Korean regime cannot survive unless it abandons its nuclear and missile programs. The ROK government will maintain a watertight readiness posture against any additional North Korean provocations that pose a threat to the lives of the ROK people and the security of the ROK.
* unofficial translation