- Press Releases
Foreign Minister Attends Opening Ceremony of 18th World Korean Business Convention
1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang Kyung-wha attended an opening ceremony and a welcoming dinner of the 18th World Korean Business Convention at the Yeosu International Expo Hall in Jeollanam-do on October 22, 2019. At the Convention, Minister Kang delivered congratulatory remarks from President Moon Jae-in, welcomed and encouraged the attending Korean businessmen from 51 countries around the world.
2. In the congratulatory remarks, President Moon conveyed gratitude to the overseas Korean businessmen who are living and doing business in other countries and helping Korean businesses and young Koreans move toward the future. He also highlighted that sharing networks and experiences that the overseas Korean businessmen have built and gathering wisdom with the people of the ROK will pave the way for opening the peaceful and prosperous Korean Peninsula era.
○ At the Convention, the businessmen discussed their roles in achieving prosperity of the ROK and in discovering solutions for the next century on topics such as the future of the Gaeseong Industrial Complex and peace-driven economy, and pathways of trade diversification in line with the New Southern Policy.
3. The World Korean Business Convention, organized by the Overseas Koreans Foundation and sponsored by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, serves as a business network platform between the ROK and overseas Korean communities, bringing together about 300 companies at home and abroad. This event is contributing to building global Korean businessmen networks; to helping the ROK companies entering overseas markets; and to facilitating exports.
4. In addition, the event functions as a gateway for the overseas Korean businesses to give the young Koreans opportunities to enter foreign countries and to provide top-quality jobs in accordance with job creation policies which are the top priority on the ROK government’s agenda.
○ In 2019 alone, the overseas Korean companies
continued to provide various internship opportunities to 236 young Koreans
through the internship program arranged by the Overseas Koreans Foundation.