- Press Releases
Second ROK-Russia Interregional Cooperation Forum Takes Place
1. On September 6, the Second ROK-Russia Interregional Cooperation Forum took place in Vladivostok, Priomorsky Krai, the Russian Federation, bringing together participants, including those from 11 provincial governments of the Russian Far East as well as a delegation consisting of 76 participants from six metropolitan and provincial autonomous governments of the Republic of Korea (ROK) such as Mayor of Ulsan Metropolitan City Song Chul-ho, Governor of Jeollabuk-do Song Ha-jin and Governor of Gyeongsangbuk-do Lee Cheol-woo.
○ The Interregional Cooperation Forum, composed of an opening ceremony, a plenary session, a luncheon and cultural events, was held in connection with the 5th Eastern Economic Forum (September 4-6) in which Russian President Vladimir Putin participated.
○ Vice Minister of the ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs Lee Tae-ho, Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation and Presidential Envoy to the Far Eastern Federal District Yury Trutnev and Governor of Primorsky Krai Oleg Kozhemyako attended the opening ceremony on behalf of their two respective countries.
2. Vice Minister Lee and Deputy Prime Minister Trutnev, respectively, delivered congratulatory messages from Presidents of the two countries, and expressed hope for the success of the Interregional Cooperation Forum.
○ In his congratulatory message, President Moon Jae-in voiced hope that the cooperation between the ROK and the Russian Far East, which shares with the ROK historical, geographical and emotional bonds as a pathway connecting the continent with the ocean, as well as cooperation between provincial governments of the two countries will serve as a “strong bridge” and a “new path” that connect the ROK, Russia and Eurasia.
○ President Putin, attaching great importance to the ROK-Russia Interregional Cooperation Forum held within the framework of the Eastern Economic Forum, mentioned in his congratulatory message that constructive dialogues and cooperation between the ROK provincial autonomous governments and the Russian Far East which has a high potential for growth would be helpful in advancing the bilateral ties.
3. In the plenary session, the representatives of 11 Russian provincial governments and six ROK metropolitan and provincial autonomous governments adopted the “Vladivostok Declaration” as the outcome of the session, and exchanged views on high-potential areas for cooperation as well as on ways to step up cooperation between the two sides.
○ In particular, provincial governments of the two countries agreed to strengthen cooperation in various areas such as economy, trade, education, science, tourism, culture and art as well as sports; and explore the roles of provincial governments to improve transportation and logistics infrastructures between the two countries on the basis of the Vladivostok Declaration.
4. Vice Minister Lee met with Deputy Minister for Development of Russian Far East and Arctic Alexander Krutikov who attended the Interregional Cooperation Forum. They exchanged views on such matters as substantive cooperation between the ROK and Russia in the Far East; the way forward for the development of the ROK-Russia Interregional Cooperation Forum; and the ROK-Russia Arctic cooperation.
○ The two sides shared the understanding that strengthening cooperation between the ROK and Far East in Russia is essential to reaching the goals: three million USD in trade and one million people-to-people exchanges by 2020. In addition, they agreed that the ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry for the Development of the Russian Far East and Arctic would continue cooperation in order to promote substantive cooperation by thoroughly implementing the “Action Plan for the Nine-Bridge Korean Russian Trade and Economic Cooperation” in the Far East.
○ Furthermore, the two sides shared the view that exchanges between provincial governments of the ROK and Russia would serve as a basis for developing the relations between the two countries, and agreed to help the ROK-Russia Interregional Cooperation Forum develop into a platform for direct and comprehensive cooperation between provincial governments of the two countries.
○ During the Forum, the two sides agreed on the significance of close cooperation and active communication between the ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry for the Development of the Russian Far East and Arctic, and to advance bilateral cooperation in the areas of icebreaker building and research on science and technology in the Arctic.
5. With the Second ROK-Russia Forum being held successfully, this event, which was organized by the agreement reached by Presidents of the two countries, is seen to have been solidly established as a platform for direct exchanges and cooperation between provincial governments of the two countries.
○ The 3rd ROK-Russia Interregional
Cooperation Forum will be held in Ulsan Metropolitan City in 2020 as part of “the
Year of Mutual Exchanges between the ROK and the Russian Federation” to
celebrate the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic
relations between the ROK and Russia.