- Press Releases
15th Annual Consultation between ROK and UNICEF Takes Place
1. The 15th Annual Consultation between the Republic of Korea (ROK) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) took place in New York on July 12, 2019. The ROK and UNICEF head delegates to the meeting were Director-General for Development Cooperation of the ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs Oh Hyun-joo and Deputy Executive Director of UNICEF Charlotte Gornitzka.
2. The ROK government and UNICEF have held
the Annual Consultation alternately in Seoul and New York every year since 2004
and discussed ways to work together in promoting rights of children and women
across the world. Lately, the two sides have explored ways to step up
cooperation on education for youths, the future generations.
3. The two sides comprehensively reviewed steadily strengthening cooperative ties, including in implementing the ROK government’s “Action with Women and Peace” Initiative and on humanitarian assistance projects for the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
4. In particular, the two sides noted that the ROK government and UNICEF successfully carried out a project to prevent and respond to gender-based violence for Rohingya refugees in the People’s Republic of Bangladesh in an effort to implement the “Action with Women and Peace” Initiative.
5. With regard to the DPRK maternal and child healthcare project and nutrition improvement project, on which the ROK government provided assistance through UNICEF in June, the ROK and UNICEF agreed to continue close cooperation toward improvements in healthcare and nutrition of children in the DPRK.
* unofficial translation