- Press Releases
5th ROK-Visegrad Group (V4) Meeting of Deputy Ministers for Political Affairs Takes Place
1. On March 26, Deputy Minister for Political Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Yoon Soon-gu held the 5th Republic of Korea-Visegrad Group (V4) meeting of deputy ministers for political affairs (or the 5th Republic of Korea-Visegrad Group (V4) Political Directors’ Consultations), and a working luncheon with the heads of the delegations of the four member countries of the Visegrad Group (V4) -- the Slovak Republic, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Poland, and Hungary. The two sides exchanged in-depth views on ways to promote friendship and cooperation between the ROK and the V4 countries, as well as the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in Europe, and the global situation.
2. The two sides took note that cooperation between the ROK and the V4 is increasing in a range of areas, including political, economic and cultural affairs, as well as people-to-people exchanges, and that Korean companies’ investments in the V4 countries are expanding. They also agreed to continue to work together to facilitate their cooperation in IT, cyber security and innovation.
o As the ROK marked the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations with Slovakia in 2018, marks the 30th anniversary of diplomatic ties with Poland and Hungary this year, and will mark the 30th anniversary of diplomatic relations with the Czech Republic in 2020, the two sides agreed to continue to strengthen cooperative relations between the ROK and the V4 and its member states.
o In addition, the two sides noted that trade and investments had been continuously increasing since the ROK-EU Free Trade Agreement (FTA) entered into force in 2011. Regarding Korean companies’ investments, which were previously focused on the manufacturing sector, including the car, parts and electronics industries, and are now expanding to electric car batteries and R&D, Deputy Minister Yoon requested the V4 countries’ interest and support for Korean companies.
o Deputy Minister Yoon also expressed regret over the EU’s decision to impose safeguard measures on imports of steel products, and asked for the V4 countries’ support to ensure that in the EU’s future review process, the ROK’s position, including the expansion of quota, is positively considered, saying that Korean steel products, as intermediate materials for cars and electronics that are produced and exported by the V4 countries, are contributing to job creation and economic growth in the V4 countries.
3. Deputy Minister Yoon explained the current situation on the Korean Peninsula following the three inter-Korean summits and the two United States-Democratic People’s Republic of Korea summits since last year, and asked for the V4 countries’ continued support for the ROK government’s efforts to establish peace on the Korean Peninsula.
o The V4 side expressed support for the ROK government’s efforts towards peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.
4. Furthermore, the two sides engaged in an extensive exchange of views on the ROK-EU relations and the situation in Europe.
5. The 5th ROK-V4 meeting of deputy ministers for political affairs served as an opportunity to advance friendly and cooperative relations with the V4 countries, which are members of the European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), as well as the ROK’s partners for substantive cooperation, and to strengthen the foundation for the ROK’s diplomatic diversification.
* unofficial translation