- Press Releases
Outcome of 1st ROK-UAE Foreign and Defense Vice Ministerial (2+2) Meeting
1. The first Republic of Korea-United Arab Emirates (UAE) Foreign and Defense Vice Ministerial (2+2) Meeting took place at a Lotte Hotel, Seoul, at 11:30-14:30, October 12. In the Meeting, which came in a follow-up to the bilateral summit talks held during President Moon Jae-in’s official visit to the UAE in March, the two sides discussed ways to advance the ROK-UAE special strategic partnership and to work together in the areas of national defense and relevant industry, as well as on the international stage; and the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in the Middle East.
※ The ROK and UAE head delegates to the Meeting were Vice Minister of National Defense Suh Choo-suk and Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Yoon Soon-gu; and Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Defence Matar Salim Al-Dhaheri and Assistant Under-Secretary for Political Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Khalifa Shaheen Al-Marar, respectively.
2. In his opening remarks, Vice Minister of National Defense Suh Choo-suk expressed hope that the 2+2 meeting would help to take to a higher level bilateral cooperation on foreign affairs and national defense that had been advancing based on mutual trust. Meanwhile, Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Yoon Soon-gu, calling the 2+2 Meeting a symbol of close cooperation between the ROK and the UAE as special strategic partners, noted that the event signified the institutionalization of cooperation on foreign affairs and national defense.
° Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Defence Matar Salim Al-Dhaheri and Assistant Under-Secretary for Political Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Khalifa Shaheen Al-Marar of the UAE voiced hope that the two countries, as partners spearheading efforts toward peace and stability in their regions, would consolidate cooperation in the fields of foreign affairs and national defense as well.
3. The two sides, conveying satisfaction with the progress in the ROK-UAE special strategic partnership, agreed to step up bilateral communication through diverse dialogue channels, including the foreign ministerial strategic dialogue and the high-level consultation on nuclear energy.
° In addition, the two sides, taking note of the faithful implementation of the measures to follow up on the bilateral summit talks held in March, agreed to further enhance the already-close cooperative ties based on mutual trust and faith.
4. With respect to regional situations, the ROK side spoke of the inter-Korean relations in the wake of the 2018 Inter-Korean Summit Pyeongyang held in the namesake city in September as well as the progress toward the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula; extended appreciation to the UAE government for its support; and asked for the country’s continued attention and cooperation.
° The UAE delegation, hailing the recent progress in the inter-Korean relations, expressed hope that such improvements in the inter-Korean relations would set a good precedent for the Middle East, as it sought a solution to its complicated situation.
° With regard to the situation in the Middle East, the UAE side stated that the UAE government supported the efforts to build peace and stability in the Middle East as well as the legitimate government of Yemen; and spoke of humanitarian assistance the UAE had offered.
° The ROK side commended the UAE’s positive role and efforts in seeking a political and peaceful resolution of Middle Eastern issues, pursuing counter-terrorism, and preventing extremism.
° The UAE side asked the ROK, the former’s special strategic partner, to play a more active role in the work to achieve peace and stability in the Middle East.
5. The two sides, drawing a common understanding that closer cooperation on national defense and relevant industry would serve national interests of both countries, agreed to beef up the institutional framework, including the 2+2 meeting platform, in order to move forward cooperation in the field in a mutually beneficial way.
° In particular, the UAE side highly commended the achievements and contribution of the ROK’s Akh Unit, which is opening up a new horizon in the ROK-UAE cooperation on national defense.
6. The inaugural ROK-UAE Foreign and Defense Vice Ministerial (2+2) Meeting is seen to have served as an opportunity to create momentum for tangible progress in cooperation on foreign affairs and national defense between the two countries, whose relationship was upgraded to special strategic partnership during the ROK President’s visit to the UAE in March.
* unofficial translation