1. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Republic of Korea and Turkmenistan in 2017, acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn of the ROK exchanged celebratory messages with President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov of Turkmenistan.
* The ROK and Turkmenistan established diplomatic relations on February 7, 1992.
2. In his message, acting President Hwang noted with appreciation that since forging diplomatic relations in 1992, the two countries have been seeing rapid advances in their bilateral ties in various fields, including political and social affairs, economy and culture. He also took note of the fact that President Berdimuhamedov’s visit to the ROK in April 2015 had helped further enhance the mutually beneficial partnership between the two countries.
° The acting President expressed satisfaction with the smooth progress in major infrastructure construction projects in Turkmenistan, in which Korean companies are taking part, adding that he hoped to see the ROK become Turkmenistan’s reliable partner in the latter’s efforts to modernize and diversify its industrial sector.
3. President Berdimuhamedov, taking note of the dynamic advancement of the
ROK-Turkmenistan relationship since the establishment of diplomatic relations, expressed pleasure over the fact that Korean companies, by taking part in major infrastructure construction projects in Turkmenistan, have played a role in stepping up substantive cooperation between the two countries in an unprecedented way.
° He also expressed hope that the two countries will see further advances in their mutually beneficial cooperative ties by working closely together across the board, including political affairs, culture and people-to-people exchanges.
4. The ROK shares a number of similarities in culture and language with Turkmenistan, the ROK government’s main partner in implementing its “foreign policy toward Central Asia for co-prosperity and mutual benefits.”
5. In addition to the exchange of celebratory messages between their heads of state to mark their 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations, the ROK and Turkmenistan will work more closely together in various private and public sectors, such as through high-level exchanges, cultural performances and sports, in efforts to further promote mutual understanding and exchanges between the peoples of the two countries.
* unofficial translation