1. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Republic of Korea and Kyrgyzstan in 2017, acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn of the ROK exchanged celebratory messages with President Almazbek Atambayev of Kyrgyzstan.
* The ROK and Kyrgyzstan established diplomatic relations on January 31, 1992.
2. In his message, acting President Hwang noted with appreciation that since forging diplomatic relations in 1992, the two countries have been seeing their friendly and cooperative ties advance steadily in various fields, including political and social affairs, economy and culture. He also took note of continued efforts of the two countries, including during President Atambayev’s visit to the ROK in November 2013 and at the second meeting of the ROK-Kyrgyz Joint Commission on Economic Cooperation in October 2016, to step up substantive cooperation in such sectors as energy, resources and transportation.
° The acting President also expressed hope that the two countries, which mark in 2017 the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the 80th anniversary of the settlement of ethnic Koreans in Central Asian countries, will work together in a closer and mutually beneficial manner to achieve shared peace and prosperity.
3. President Atambayev, taking note of the mutually beneficial cooperative ties forged between the two countries across the board since the establishment of diplomatic relations, extended appreciation to the ROK for its significant contribution to democracy as well as socio-economic development of Kyrgyzstan, including through the development cooperation project for the creation of an electoral system in Kyrgyzstan.
4. In addition to the exchange of celebratory messages between their heads of state, the ROK and Kyrgyzstan will hold in 2017 meaningful events, such as high-level exchanges and cultural performances, to celebrate their diplomatic anniversary. These events are expected to help further promote mutual understanding and friendship between the peoples of the two countries.
* unofficial translation