1. On February 19, Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se met with Foreign Minister Riad Malki of Palestine, who was on a visit to the Republic of Korea, and exchanged views with him on ways to increase high-level exchanges and cooperation on economy and development, as well as the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in the Middle East.
2. The two sides noted with appreciation that the ROK and Palestine are seeing their relations further tighten through high-level exchanges, including President Abbas’ ongoing visit to the ROK and the exchange of visits by the Foreign Ministers. They discussed ways to boost the ROK’s exports to and investment in Palestine, to step up development cooperation, and to increase exchanges between the governments and private sectors of the two countries. They agreed to continue efforts to move their relations further forward.
3. Minister Malki, highlighting the urgent need to resolve the Israel-Palestine issue, one of the key issues in the Middle East, expressed support for the proposed international peace conference aimed at resolving the Israel-Palestine issue and explained the current situation of the Israel-Palestine conflict in the West Bank.
° Minister Yun, voicing support for the “two-state solution” as a way to resolve the Israel-Palestine issue, pointed out the need for the international community to make every effort to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
4. Minister Yun explained stern responses of the international community to North Korea’s fourth nuclear test and launch of a long-range missile, including the efforts to adopt a strong UN Security Council resolution, and asked the Palestinian government to join such efforts. In response, Minister Malki, calling North Korea’s fourth nuclear test and missile launch by no means acceptable, expressed strong support.
5. The ROK-Palestine Foreign Ministers’ meeting on February 19 is expected to greatly help the two sides better understand their bilateral and regional issues and help advance their bilateral ties.
* unofficial translation