- Ministry News
Foreign Minister Meets with Chairman of Abu Dhabi Executive Affairs Authority Khaldoon
1. Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha met with Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Affairs Authority of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak at the Foreign Ministry on November 2.
o Minister Kang and Chairman Khaldoon exchanged views on issues of mutual interest, including high-level exchanges; ways to promote comprehensive cooperation to advance the Republic of Korea-UAE special strategic partnership; the situations on the Korean Peninsula and in the Middle East; and cooperation on the global stage.
2. Minister Kang and Chairman Khaldoon agreed to work together to make sure that Crown Prince Mohammed visits the ROK in the first quarter of next year, and also agreed to continue to consult on a specific schedule for his visit to the ROK.
3. The two sides shared the view that the two countries were communicating actively with each other, including through the “strategic dialogue between the foreign ministers,” and the “vice foreign and defense ministerial (2+2) meeting,” under the ROK-UAE special strategic partnership, to which the bilateral relations were elevated during the ROK President’s visit to the UAE in March.
4. Concerning the latest progress in inter-Korean relations, Minister Kang talked about the progress in efforts to establish a lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula, including the outcome of the inter-Korean summit in Pyeongyang, and developments in follow-up negotiations between the US and North Korea. Minister Kang also asked for continued interest and support from the UAE, the ROK’s key ally in the Middle East.
o Chairman Khaldoon reaffirmed that as the ROK’s special strategic partner, the UAE would continue to support the development of inter-Korean relations.
o Regarding the situation in the Middle East, Chairman Khaldoon explained the UAE’s positions on the situations in Yeman and Iran, and Minister Kang commended the UAE’s efforts to promote stability in the Middle East.
5. The meeting between Minister Kang and Chairman Khaldoon served as a good opportunity to discuss the way forward for the ROK-UAE special strategic partnership, forged in March this year.
* unofficial translation