- Policy Information
- Public Diplomacy
- Treaties·International Law
- Development Cooperation
- International Organization
- Human Rights
- Bilateral Economic Relations
- Public Diplomacy
3rd Meeting of ROK-Kazakhstan Joint Cultural Committee to Take Place
※ Participating organizations from the ROK side: the Ministry of the Interior and Safety (National Archives of Korea), the Cultural Heritage Administration, and the Korea Foundation
2. In the meeting, the two sides reviewed the progress in cultural exchanges between the two countries, and discuss ways to increase cooperation in a range of areas, including culture and arts, cultural heritage conservation, records, sports, tourism, the mass media, education, publication and printing, and youth exchanges. They also signed the Agreed Minutes of the third ROK-Kazakhstan joint cultural committee meeting.
3. In particular, as the Kazakh side had asked for cooperation in records management, the two sides have begun consultations to conclude a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on exchanges regarding records, and joint publication and exhibitions.
o Cooperation with Kazakhstan in records management served as an opportunity to share the ROK’s knowhow in digital administration with the Central Asian region, and contributed to the ROK’s research in historical records, including those regarding forced migration of ethnic Koreans in the post-Soviet states.
4. Since concluding a cultural agreement in 1995, the ROK and Kazakhstan have continued efforts to increase cultural and people-to-people exchanges between the two countries, including the establishment of the only Korean culture center in Central Asia (2010), the conclusion of an agreement on visa-free travel (2014), and joint excavation of cultural properties and joint research in them. The 3rd joint cultural committee meeting was a good opportunity to review such efforts of the two countries, and to take a leap towards a new level of cultural cooperation.
* unofficial translation